Wednesday 14 September 2011

Hemingway’s “iceberg” principle of writing in relation to The Old Man and the Sea (suggested essay topic, spark notes)

Hemingway believes in simplicity of style (strangely those who apes him always end up with puerile writing!) and to prove his point he provides us the “iceberg” principle. To quote from “An Interview with Earnest Hemingway”,

“There is seven-eighths of iceberg under water for every part that shows. Anything you know you can eliminate and it only strengthen your iceberg.”

He may have written the novella that runs in to hundreds of pages by adding picturesque description of Cuban landscape (remember Hardy?) or creating countless characters (of course I’m alluding to the famous match maker of literary world Jane Austen). However, his sole aim is to showcase the readers a tip of an iceberg and he does it successful by creating a piece of art that revolves around Santiago, and his tragedy in success. You have to read it with telescope on your eyes to find other characters if they exist somewhere (Pedrico, Manolin’s father, or female tourist)! With his sheer ability as a writer, he makes us to see the part of the iceberg which is inside the water. The readers never feel that, the visibility of mere tip results in hollow, a perplexing gape. Rather the act of ignoring before mentioned parts elevates his writing. Hey dearies, do you want any other proof to engrave his name with the golden letter on the sky of American literature???


(It’s true that my focus on style instead of my own interpretation of the novella.)

6 comments:

  1. Well said, Bhagirath,
    ... and to add to your observation, see how language is used to demonstrate 'iceberg theory'. (1) The old Santiago innocently asks Manolin - 'why do old man wake up so early? ... To have an extra time - hour - a day - to live more?' (i have paraphrased original dialogue in my own words).
    (2) The boy Manolin says - dont wake me up early - it makes me inferior'. And Santiago replies - 'I know'.
    See the psychology depth (and reality, of course) in these crispy, terse small sentences.
    Or again (well, it is found on each and every page of the novella)...
    (3) when he has inner (moral) conflict on the idea of Sin - 'Don't think old man, ... and you don't understand it ... they are people who are paid to think about it....'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bhagirath,
    The way you have explained this 'Iceberg' phenomena is compact and to the point. As obvious you need to be not only to be text-oriented but author-oriented to deal with stylistics, and your could do it well. you justified you topic excellently.
    Keep it up!!!
    -Reema

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you sir.

    You've advised to quote textual dialogues to reinforce the argument but I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bhagirath, it is an absolutely joy to read your writing. Your language is communicative and up to the mark. When I was reading your blog at that time I felt we were interacting. Especially, your into bracket comments are very very effective. I agree with the comments of Dr. Barad and Reema, posted on the blog. Thank you for a unique creation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Newly thought and elaborative idea like ‘Iceberg’ and other topics are praiseworthy. Well-structured write up is plus point in your blog. Sustain it in academic curriculum. I like to suggest you that instead of writhing like telescopic eyes, if you write ‘strong lense’ then it would make it more effective. Ruchira madam had shared that idea of weak lense and strong lense in her session. I should say that you often use that strong lense. Best of efforts...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for you suggestion, Mahesh. I like that

    I'm always open to suggestions and CRITICISM too.

    In web-world I ain't used to praises as native English speakers lash out at my writing skill now and then, and whatever improvement I've seen is due to them.

    some instances:

    --a piece of s**t, Rewrite it with proper English and maybe we'll be kinder. In its current state it is unreadable.

    --.why wasnt this impossible to read garbage?

    --Extra point amusement factor. Read story, wondered bot generated? Prose- writing software need work on.

    --Is this the worst Lit submission of all time? It's gotta be up there!

    --Yes your writing is a direct translation, it seems. Read some Hemingway, or the other Lit stories to catch the taste of English.

    --Although your grammar is broken in places, the description and narrative is concise and clear. (he was my friend so took care that I didn't get hurt and added false appreciation.)

    -- Stick to lightsabers, Yoda. Sucked this story did greatly.

    --zero

    --minus zero, What's less than zero..negative zero.

    --I actually want that five minutes (wasted in reading my writing) of my life back...I mean I really do!

    But when it comes to poking nose in my private life (what I do with myself, what I wear, my faith, living in the well or outside, my only answer is

    --You know, Dogs keep barking. I can't glue their mouth. so let them, with sheer freedom.

    I don't give a damn what people think about me

    ReplyDelete